Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pure Goodness in Humanity

I lost some friends. I thought this would kill me, but it made me stronger.
I gained some new friends. I grew closer to old friends. I thought these friendships wouldn't last, but in a short period of time, these friendships have taught me what real friends are.
Because I have been strong enough to keep the mean friends away, I have (for the first time in a long time) started to trust, respect, and even love these new people in my life. Not only that, I feel that I deserve to have these people in my life. After treatment, I had a hard time loving people -- not just loving people in a romantic way, but loving anyone as a human. I had lost a lot of hope in humanity, and was afraid to put any faith, in anyone let alone care enough to love someone. The mere fact that I am starting to see pure goodness in people amazes me. Liking what I see in someone is something new, something I haven't let myself see in a very long time.

I thought it was easier just to assume that all of humanity had the capacity to hurt me and would if given the chance. I thought living life that way was safer, and safer was better. I don't care if it's safer. I like believing in the goodness in people. I like liking people. It's scary and it isn't what I'm used to, but I am starting to believe in a pure goodness in humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment